• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

my DC-8 Project

Would you like me too...


  • Total voters
    21
Alrighty...

2012-07-06025114.jpg


The flaps are undergoing modifications for proper flap extension and alignment, then I have to tidy up the wing again, work on flap linkages and well it all seems like flap work. This is going to take a while because everything is a mess.

later all.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
 
Well whatever you do, don't get in a flap. (groannnn :p ) Good to see you working on it again. :)
 
I have finished modifying the shape of the flaps based on some blueprints I had but as usual, the problem seems to be that they do not align when deployed. See I can animate them as they look on the photographs but then a close inspection of the blueprints for top views and photographs shows that for some reason, do not align at all.

On the real DC8 the flaps move in the direction of the flap fairings, obviously but if I do this on my model even when everything is near close to perfection, I get a completely different flap configuration, they do not even animate properly when linked to the linkage.

I'm going to have to improvise here and come up with a solution that works, it seems like I'm walking in a deep lake of heavy mod, submerged halfway in, the progress is really slow, every scenario I've tried is trial and error.

This is why I have not shown any more pictures, there really is nothing new to show...if I can get these flaps to animate properly, I can accelerate back up to speed but in the mean time, I'm crawling here and really its the lack of flaps information; photographs don't reveal much.

If I could find a video of the flaps deploying, that may open my eyes. I recall some of you have purchased videos or have videos of the DC8, people performing walk-arounds, gear inspections...well, I need something that focuses on the flaps.

Everytime I work on the flaps I get overwhelmed with the details and my failed tries that I soon give up and take a break only to come back to it again, I am reluctant to give up, I keep trying and trying and trying, and I know I'll get it right some time but I am pulling my hairs here!!!

Since I had purchased the Aerosim DC8, I may install the package again and see how they did their movement of flaps, I may be able to learn something about how they did it, it could help.

I have lots of FREE time this week, today (Thursday), Friday & Saturday and I'm going to spend it all working on the DC8, i'm on a biweekly pay schedule and this week, there is no treasure, lol.

Anyway, if you read all this, thank you every much for taking the time to read it and if you can help in any way, share your ideas here so we can get this project moving faster again.

Later guys.

Raf.
 
Making progress now, slow but getting there, video update on my channel coming soon, will post link here when complete.
 
Update!

Work on the flaps continue, going slow but this is due to small parts modeling.
Here are some pictures...

2prblvn.png


256cjtk.png


5x77kk.png


I am only working on the inner left flap at the moment, cramming it with detail as I go until it is fully completed and refined, then I will move to the outward flap and continue work there.

That's all I got for now guys, I'll have more pics if I make any more progress, thanks for tuning in!
 
Very nice bird, really enjoy to follow your thread/screenshots - keep on with this! Let me know in case you need details right out of the official AOM: I've got one from German Cargo (73F) ;-)
 
Very nice work !!! I also have some Data from the " 8 "...i flew it for several month at Skymaster Airlines , a former Cargo Airline from Sao Paulo ( I did fly the B707 and the DC-8 ) . It s nice to see u still have the mood to continue the work !
 
Thanks guys! Project is picking up again, I'm getting more into it after the hiatus. When you take a big break, you tend to resist "rebooting the project flow" I am picking up the love for it again, via FlightSim flights, watching some videos and looking at the pictures.

I'm at work right now so I'll try my best to describe an area I need information on. On the DC8 flap linkage, the part that covers the linkage at the top of the wing that looks like a slot that extends from the wing and out and covers the track guide for the flap mechanism swivel, not sure If I'm painting a clear picture here...anyway, the issue is, I am having a hard time figuring out how that area looks....photographs show the part of the top slat runs right through but in other photographs, it is completely cut away.

There is no way the linkage will work if the top slat where the linkage is not cut away, it would come in contact with the slat material and cause damage so I figured the only possible way is if it was cut but photographs make this hard to see or are just confusing my eyes.

The other theory I thought off, is that the panel that covers that area from the slat to the wing via parallel rails seems to slide up and down. Maybe it is some kind of maintenance access panel to check the flap linkage? The panel is always closed on aircraft in flight but on the ground, most photos show them open revealing part of the linkage inside...it is possible for them to "slide" up and provide access but it is impossible for them to remain in that position when stowed.

I'm not sure I made myself clear but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, if you can help with anything, share it!
 
hi, could you post a screenshot of the area described and maybe outline it? might be possible for me to get some reallife closeup pics.. thnx
 
hi, could you post a screenshot of the area described and maybe outline it? might be possible for me to get some reallife closeup pics.. thnx

Here ya go..

20qkysw.jpg


I need a clearer shot of everything around that area, do you see the panels I am talking about, in other photographs, they appear removed or some how "moved up".
 
just had a look inside the AOM but only found details/drawings of the slot system leading edge. unfortunately there is no DC8 on the ramp - and it will take a long time to get a chance of making detailed pictures of the desired location. I already ask a collegue who might have details, we'll see.


0237831.jpg

the covers on this photo look pretty fixed and don't look to be some kind of counter part to the flaps. might be to provide better airflow only. the aft bottom of each cover might be the only area, that gets into contact with the parallel metal strips of the flaps. (worn painting, lower part of picture, most inner cover)


Here are some clips, just in case you've not already seen them.

http://youtu.be/YHTfJwjU8Z4

http://youtu.be/Xj_AosqtPzY
 
Update!

Fixed the flap alignment issue, made a little more progress. Finally got internet at home now however, not what I expected but it will do just fine I think. I just need to tweak this WiMax 4G thing, I'm not getting the best speed right now and I know 4G is supposed to be pretty fast somewhere along the lines of 6 Mbps....anyway, time for some pictures.

54gkzd.png

A look at the entire aircraft, heavy work on flaps continue!

j8p6c0.png

A closer look at the new flaps in progress. Here they are fully deployed
at a 50 degree angle which is the maximum angle and according to how the
DC8 is operated, is ever RARELY used.

2upg2uh.png

Here, they are at a 25 degree angle, the take off position.

xbolw.png

Just another shot from the bottom with shading enabled.

Work on the flaps will be slow as there are some many details crammed in there but I am taking my time with this, as long as it will take and surely the result and time is worth it I believe.

Thanks for tuning in guys, later.
 
Download Speed: 5529 kbps (691.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 990 kbps (123.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Sat Jul 28 2012 07:48:17 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)

This where the speed test results for my new WiMax4G connection. I guess that is alright but thanks to this connection, I am back online again and can provide daily updates if any of the DC8 project.

Later guys, enjoying my day today.
 
Thanks for the latest screenshots, really happy about construction progress. Presently on a roadtrip but when home again I'll try to get more information on flaps system :-)
 
Wow :eek: I just saw this project a few days ago and I am so happy (it also saved me a year of waiting lol). FINALLY a new DC-8 model!!!

I have a lot of picture taken in OST in 2008-2010 from the Air Charter Express planes (63F's). Flaps, gear, engines, inside the cockpit and the cargo bay etc. It's quite big, can I send them full size to you? PM me.
I also have a lot of video's of their planes on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/MKA742.

I really love your work, keep it up and take your time! I would like to see a model before an entire VC though... No point in waititng for it while there is a perfectly good model!!

What about a panel? Only HJG?

Awesome!
 
Last edited:
Wow :eek: I just saw this project a few days ago and I am so happy (it also saved me a year of waiting lol). FINALLY a new DC-8 model!!!

I have a lot of picture taken in OST in 2008-2010 from the Air Charter Express planes (63F's). Flaps, gear, engines, inside the cockpit and the cargo bay etc. It's quite big, can I send them full size to you? PM me.
I also have a lot of video's of their planes on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/MKA742.

I really love your work, keep it up and take your time! I would like to see a model before an entire VC though... No point in waititng for it while there is a perfectly good model!!

What about a panel? Only HJG?

Awesome!

Send away, that would help a ton!
 
Back
Top